Regardless of whether or not you’ve adapted a plant-based diet, we all get a craving for a big juicy burger every now and then! And with grilling season making its way in, the temptation is even stronger. Enter the portobello mushroom! With great texture and an earthly flavor, portobellos make a lovely burger stand-in. Even if you normally reach for a conventional burger, who can’t use more veggies? Enjoy this alongside your favorite form of protein for a complete meal.
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
4 portobello mushroom caps, stems and gills removed
4 large slices country-style sourdough bread, cut in half
1/2 cup sliced jarred roasted red peppers
1/2 cup chopped tomato
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
2 tablespoons chopped pitted Kalamata olives
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 cups loosely packed mixed baby salad greens
1. Preheat grill to medium-high.
2. Mash garlic and salt on a cutting board with the side of a knife until it’s a smooth paste. Mix the paste with 1 tablespoon oil in a small dish. Lightly brush the oil mixture over portobellos and then on one side of each slice of bread.
3. Combine red peppers, tomato, feta, olives, vinegar, oregano and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a medium bowl.
4. Grill the mushroom caps until tender, about 4 minutes per side; grill the bread until crisp, about 1 minute per side.
5. Toss salad greens with the red pepper mixture. Place the grilled mushrooms top-side down on 4 half-slices of the bread. Top with the salad mixture and the remaining bread.
Photo and recipe courtesy of www.eatingwell.com