P.U.R.E.=Perspiration, Urination, Respiration, and Excretion
In a perfect world perspiration, urination, respiration and excretion are how the body self regulates and detoxifies. Well, as I am sure you know, this is no perfect world. We are bombarded by toxins daily, in our water, in our air, in our food, stress and emotional toxins and even electronic toxins in the way of cellphones, bluetooth, wifi, etc. wreak havoc on our bodies. If we don’t take the extra steps to eliminate these toxins properly they reside in our bodies causing illness and disease. Here are some simple cleansing techniques that will have you feeling lighter, cleaner, refreshed, and hopefully get you on the right track to a healthy P.U.R.E. this spring.
- Fresh air-Take your workout outside. Garden, take your dog for a walk. Go for a power walk, bike ride or a swim. Get out of the stale air of your office or gym and take in the fresh sunshine and air found in nature.
- Fresh spring vegetables and fiber rich foods-It’s spring and the Farmers Markets and organic grocery stores are brimming with fresh local produce. Start adding all things green to your diet. Try something you have never explored before, like perhaps the fiddlehead fern, or challenge yourself to a big raw salad daily. Check out our “recipe” section for spring suggestions.
- Infrared Sauna-Studies show that sweat from a traditional sauna contains about 3% toxins; however, sweat from a Far Infrared Sauna contains about 17% toxins. The deep detoxification benefits and deep penetrating heat from Infrared Saunas make them an effective and essential part of your health and wellness regimen.
- Breathing Exercises-Deep breathing is one of the best gifts you can give to yourself. Spend some time each day consciously breathing slow and rhythmically, and bringing air down deeper into your lungs. It is a simple trick to automatically get energized and focused. Practice yogic breathing which is done through the nose only. Just concentrate on bringing your breath down deeper into your lungs. Picture your lungs expanding with air as you breathe in. That is exactly what happens; shallow breathing only fills a small portion of our lungs but it is so much healthier and beneficial for all of our body’s processes, systems and organs, to fill the lungs and bring air deep down into them. Doing this drives more oxygen into the body which cleanses the blood, and in turn cleanses and benefits everything else. Check out some of our breathing techniques “here.”
- Water- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! It is well known that most Americans are dehydrated. In fact, we can contribute many modern day diseases to lack of pure water. Find the purest water you can get (that means no plastic bottles) and challenge your self to drinking a gallon a day for a month and you will be delighted by the results. Your skin will be plumper and clearer, and you will probably drop a few punds too, as water helps rid the body of toxins.
- Movement-Break a sweat daily. Find an activity separate from the above mentioned walking, biking, swimming and infrared sauna and break a sweat daily. Try yoga, rebounding, a sexy love session, anything you choose and break a sweat.
- Take a break from your devices-Electronic pollution is all around us. Commit to some down time daily and turn it all off. Try a meditation practice. Check out some of our meditations here. Or commit to a dinner with your friends and stack all cell phones in the middle of the table face down. The person that reaches for their cellphone first, picks up the tab!
With spring upon us, it’s time to cleanse, tone, and energize your body. This flat belly detox smoothie is not only super delicious, it will also give you heaps of energy, hydrate your body, and improve nutrient absorption.
It is packed with colon cleansing fibers, antioxidants, omega 3’s, vitamin C and many other beneficial phytonutrients to give your body some spring love!
Pineapple is packed with bromelain, an enzyme which aids detoxification and digestion. It breaks down fat, digests proteins, and reduces inflammation of the gut.
Banana, good source of fiber to keep your colon waste and toxin free.
Cucumber has anti-inflammatory properties and helps eliminate waste materials and fat.
Orange is a good source of vitamin C and liver cleansing glutathione.
Parsley is a loaded with beta-carotene, vitamin A, C, and K to help protect and cleanse the urinary tract.
Coconut water helps to flush out more toxins, and is packed with electrolytes and many other essential nutrients.
Dandelion leaves are super cleansing and strengthening for the liver.
Chia seeds are a great source of colon cleansing fibers, omega 3’s, and many vitamins and minerals to nourish your body.
Detox Smoothie Recipe (serves 2)
Detox Smoothie Ingredients
- 1 ½ cup pineapple
- 1 big frozen banana, peeled and chunked
- ½ cucumber
- 1 orange, peeled and seeds removed
- ½ cup fresh parsley
- 1 cup coconut water (or more till desired consistency)
- 2 cups dandelion leaves
- 1-2 tablespoons chia seeds
Detox Smoothie Instructions
If you own a high speed blender, throw in all ingredients and blend until smooth. Add more liquid if needed. If you don’t have a high speed blender, blend greens and liquid first, then add fruits.
Note: dandelion leaves are super cleansing but have a bitter taste. If you’re not used to green smoothies use less dandelion and substitute with milder tasting greens such as spinach, romaine or bok choy.
Let us know how you do on your path to P.U.R.E.